B.C. Men's Resource Centre

Forums

Forum Home > Spousal Support > Spousal Support.

Tom

Does anyone have a document or formula which is used to determine spousal support? My wife makes way more than me. If we can't save this thing and she splits, I don't intend to live on the cheap or start working away to maintain things for my kids. If men get stuck with spousal support, there must be a precedent for women to pay, too. I'd rather get out of what I'm doing ... ok, too long a story for here.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

June 11, 2011 at 1:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom

WHAT? Mine above was supposed to be a NEW topic! Oops. Will try again.:)

June 11, 2011 at 1:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

menbc.ca

I don't think there is a formula similar to the child support guidelines.

I have heard that a workshop, "Finances After Separation", is offered in some communities.

June 13, 2011 at 12:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David

There are guidelines issued by the Federal Department of Justice, but they are not written in stone like the Child Suport guidelines. By far the best place to go for free info on all these matters is http://www.bcfamilylawresource.com/

This particular subject is covered at http://www.bcfamilylawresource.com/05/0500body.htm

I have no interest in the site other than having gone through a divorce trial myself in January

June 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the info. David - link looks very helpful.

June 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom

Hey, guys!! This thread has been viewed 22 times!!! That's a lot of people. Surely, some of the rest of you must have some info to offer! Let's help each other!! :)

June 26, 2011 at 12:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David

Could be a case to be made for a Facebook group?

June 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark-John O'Nions

Gender is not relevant when it comes to spousal support. Women have to pay spousal support just like men do depending on the circumstances. To get a better idea of how much spousal support would be in your situation, try our free spousal support calculator.

September 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.